The New York Times

< Trump and Xi: Two Imposing Leaders with Clashing Agendas>

BEIJING When President Xi Jinping of China arrives at President Trump’s Florida estate on Thursday, his goal will be to get through the quick visit looking like a resolute leader who can hold his own against the American president, something that even some of Washington’s closest allies have failed to pull off.

Mr. Xi wants to show his domestic audience that he can manage the relationship with Mr. Trump and avert a crisis in relations with the United States,

a message that would strengthen his hand in the jockeying for power ahead of a Communist Party leadership congress this year.

But while the meetings could lift Mr. Xi’s stature at home,

they also present significant risks.

The two men are at odds on several contentious issues,

and perhaps no Chinese leader has ever walked into a meeting with an American president like Mr. Trump,

who has shown a disdain for the language of diplomacy.

Mr. Xi has a highly scripted style,

and the Chinese are accustomed to meetings that are tightly choreographed.

Events began to veer off script on Wednesday

as North Korea fired an intermediate range ballistic missile into waters off its east coast,

a defiant move that seemed intended to exacerbate differences between Mr. Trump and Mr. Xi.

*VOCABULARY 

imposing: 위압하는, 당당한

agenda: 의제

estate: 사유지

resolute: 결연한, 단호한

pull off: 성공적으로 수행해내다

avert: 방지하다, 피하다

jockeying: 기수, 앞서가기 위해 다투다

stature: 지명도, 평판,

contentious: 논쟁을 초래할 듯한, 논쟁이 많이 벌어지는

disdain: 경멸, 무시

scripted style: 정해진 연출 방식

accustomed: 익숙한, 길들여진

choreography: 안무, 연출

veer: 방향을 홱 틀다

defiant: 반항하는, 도전적인

exacerbate: 악화시키다

ESL DAILY ENGILSH 1276

<Applying to a selective school>

Sam: I think our child should go to a public school. I did.

Yasmin: I went to a private prep school and I think it gave me a leg up in life.

Sam: I got where I am without a fancy prep school.

Yasmin: And that’s great, but I think we should give our daughter every advantage we can.

Sam: What do you have in mind?

Yasmin: I have information here from a few of the most selective schools. Some are parochial and some are secular. Some are day schools and some are boarding schools.

Sam: I’m not sending my daughter to a boarding school and that’s final.

Yasmin: But some of the most exclusive schools are boarding schools.

Sam: I’m not budging on that. I want her coming home every day.

Yasmin: All right. Let’s look at the admission criteria for the remaining schools. Wow, admission is really competitive. These have very low admission rates.

Sam: Really?

Yasmin: Really. They also require two aptitude tests in addition to transcripts, letters of recommendation, and an interview.

Sam: Do we really want to put our daughter through that? And look at the tuition!

Yasmin: Is that for all four years?

Sam: No, for one year.

Yasmin: You’re kidding.

Sam: I’m not. Public school is sounding better and better, isn’t it?

*VOCABULARY

public school a school designed to serve all students in a particular area, owned and operated by the government, usually free to attend(공립학교)

private school a school owned and operated by a private business or a organization, usually with families paying for their children to attend(사립학교)

prep school preparatory school; a challenging and difficult school designed to

help students prepare for college(미국에서 대학 진학 준비를 위한 사립 고등학교)

a leg up in life an advantage over other people; something that allows one to

compete more easily and to become more successful in life(남보다 유리한 출발을 하다, 남들보다 유리하다)

selective very competitive, admitting only a few people into a program, or giving only the most qualified people an opportunity to have, do, or participate in something(까다로운, 세밀한, 선택적인)

parochial owned and operated by a church(교회/교구에 의해 운영되는)

secular not related to religion or a church; non-religious(세속적인)

day school a school that provides instruction to students during the day, with

students returning home in the evening(통학 학교)

boarding school a school that provides instruction and housing to students who live on campus, not returning home very often, or maybe returning home only on weekends or holidays(기숙학교)

exclusive highly desired and available to only a small group of people(독점적인, 배타적인)

to budge to change one’s position, stance, or opinion in some small way; to be

flexible and willing to adapt or compromise(의견을 바꾸게 하다)

admission criteria the requirements that students must meet in order to study at a school or university(입학 기준)

competitive with many people trying to have or do something that will be made available only to the top performers(경쟁적인, 경쟁력 있는)

admission rate the percentage calculated by dividing the number of people who are invited into a program by the number of people who apply for it(입학 경쟁률)

aptitude test an exam of one’s skills, abilities, or knowledge(적성 검사)

transcript an official document listing all the classes taken by a particular student, including when they were taken, who taught them, and what grade the student received(성적 증명서)

letter of recommendation a written document that praises someone’s abilities and characteristics, written to support that person’s application for something(추천서)

interview a conversation between an applicant and one or more people representing an employer or academic institution, used to determine whether he or she should be offered the job or enrollment in a program(인터뷰)

tuition the cost of studying for one term or one year at a particular school or university; the amount of money paid to be a student(수업료, 등록금)